[lit-ideas] Re: Is it any wonder...

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 04:07:45 -0400

Simon: Indeed, then why did Bldg 7 collapse. That's their biggest bugbear.

Remember how I rebarbatively bristled at suggestions that the WTC attack was the mere destruction of a couple office buildings? You really had to have seen the thing or you get lost in TV-land ironic distance. Conspiracists have taken that ironic distance into the domain of pseudoreligious psychosis.

You also have to start heavily condescending when the 9-11 research.com Web site dismisses the findings of "the engineering establishment."

What's next, "the mathematics establishment"? I mean, we've got to stick it to the man about the system's oppressive and hegemonic bourgeois linear programming. Powers of ten to the innumerate people!

Here's the government take:

http://usinfo.state.gov/media/Archive/2005/Sep/16-241966.html
The National Institute of Standards and Technology has stated unequivocally, “NIST has seen no evidence that the collapse of WTC 7 was caused by bombs, missiles, or controlled demolition,” in its Collapse of WTC 7 report (p. 6). NIST’s working hypothesis for the collapse of WTC 7 is that it was caused by the collapse of a critical column due to “fire and/or debris induced structural damage.” There was substantial damage to WTC 7 when the nearby WTC 1 tower collapsed and fires began shortly afterwards. Also, WTC 7 was a very unusual building because it was built over an existing Con-Edison power generation substation, which contained two large 6,000 gallon fuel tanks for the emergency generation of power. The fuel from these tanks could have contributed to the intense heat that apparently weakened the supporting columns in WTC 7.

See also the National Institute of Standards and Technology's report (after conducting a 3-year building and fire safety investigation to study the factors contributing to the cause of the post-impact collapse of the WTC Towers and WTC 7):

http://wtc.nist.gov/media/archives.htm