[lit-ideas] Re: Is it any wonder...

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 20:57:48 -0700

I was depressed to be reminded by an article on the appearance in 1006 in the constellation Lupus of a tremendously bright object which astronomers have now identified as a supernova—the death of a giant star—that I will not be around for the millenial celebration of the Battle of Hastings, in 2066. Will any of us? Erin surely has the best chance, and even though I doubt she's reading this, I wish her good luck.

On the other hand, there's no reason why we shouldn't start planning, and I suggest that David Ritchie and Mike Geary (the latter of whom has two fine grandchildren) head a committee to assure that some of our heirs and descendents will carry out a reenactment of the battle. And all that.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute