[lit-ideas] Re: Is Huntington right?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:13:34 -0400

Lawrence, talking to you is like talking to a robot or a computer.  It's
programmed to respond in one way, it's programmed to read only certain points
of view and it rejects all other inputs.  You put on your rosy glasses and see:
us, 100% good; them, 100% bad.  I'm not supporting the Islamists.  There are
weird people out there.  The way they treat women is a tragedy, but they don't
see that it's what's keeping them stuck anymore than you can see what's wrong
with us.  Of course, fortunately, there's nothing wrong with us.  We're so good
in fact that we need to export democracy at the point of a gun whether there is
soil for it to grow or not.  Bleep blip blink flash hum (talking to computer).
Output [computer voice] A-mer-ica is good.  A-mer-ica is good.  A-mer-ica is
good.  A-mer-ica is good ...

It's pointless to mention that our allies were against the invasion of Iraq.
[computer voice] A-mer-ica is good.  Allies like A-mer-ica.