[lit-ideas] Spelling Chauvinism

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since "chauvinism" gets its name from Nicolas
> Chauvin, a character in Theodore and Hippolyte
> Cogniard's play "La Cocarde tricolore,"

Interestin, didn't know that.

> How could it have a Serbian spelling? Granted, you
> could spell the "ism" part as the French do, but
> how could you spell the 'Chauvin" part otherwise?

In Finnish sovinismi.

There is to my knowledge no general rule on how words
adapted from other language should be spelled. In
Finnish, philosophy is filosofia because that is the
phonetic equivalent. However, media is spelled exactly
as in Latin or English, but pronounced as a Finnish
word would be.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland