From: Lawrence Helm
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 4/11/2006 12:33:20 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Is Huntington right?

I can?t be right about that, ?actually,? because that wasn?t part of our
discussion; furthermore it isn?t anything I believe.  As to loving guns being a
sign of militarism, baloney.  Our early pioneers appreciated guns because they
got food with them and they used them for protection against the Indians.  We
love our Second Amendment right because it enables us to defend ourselves.
Prior to World War II, despite all our guns we were basically an isolationist
country.  We had to be talked into supporting the allies in WWI and WWII.  We
were (despite our guns) extremely unmilitaristic.  Only after WWII when it
became clear that Europe and the rest of the world was hopelessly messed up did
we decide not to withdraw once again behind our two-ocean blanket and pull the
covers back up over our heads.

Lawrence