[lit-ideas] Re: Here's a new spin on preventative medicine

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:12:28 -0500

Dear Irene,

Pay no attention to the stalking tigers.  Let me be your shining city on the
hill, emulate me.  Many, many times on old Phil-Lit I was accosted by various
and sundry souls who hated my guts.  "Shit-head", they would scream and
"Snot-nosed know-nothing".  I would react with fury and immediately sign off
the list.  But every time I'd say to myself, "So you're going to let them win?
That's just what they want you to do."  After ten or fifteen times of signing
off then humiliating myself by signing back on, I finally resigned myself to
the reality that some people just don't like me.  OK.  Accepted.  They're not
my problem, I'm their problem.  There's no one on this list that I wish weren't
here.  There are many that I wish would contribute more often.  There are some
that I disagree with philosophically, politically, aesthetically, but I
actually enjoy reading their posts the most.  Some posts can irritate me, so do
many of mine irritate others I know.  Perhaps they're the ones we need to read
most carefully.

I hope your last post wasn't a Lister's suicide note.  You have many, many,
many more people to piss off.  Who will speak for the bad-childhood reared
souls if you leave, who will speak for the doomed earth, who will speak for the
vegans and vegetarians and the trees.  Who will excoriate humankind for its
stupidity?  Stay, Irene.  Pay no attention to Phil Enns.  He is lost in the
jungles of Borneo.  He's forgotten what it's like in sit at table with fine
wine and knives and forks and discuss topics with people he dislikes.  He's all
loin-cloth now and dancing around a fire, calling on the gods to send some
mercy his way.  Just give him room and he'll just have to make room for you.

Mike Geary
Memphis

          From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 2:21 AM

Robert Paul wrote, in response to someone's little rant:

"Noted."

Someone is doing their 'Andy' routine again.  I think of it as
watching a psychodrama.  Sometimes farce, sometimes tragic, always
pathological.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia