[lit-ideas] Re: GRE Registration

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:23:39 -0700

Judy Evans wrote:

> Thursday, May 12, 2005, 8:53:16 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

> PS> I always thought "scratch paper" was a decidedly "British" expression.
> I've
> PS> heard FOUR people say it in my life and ALL have been from the UK.

> Probably hoarding scratch paper (I have lots and lots) is British too!

 From the World Book dictionary that came with my made in China iBook,
entry under 'scratch':

adj. 1. for quick notes, a first draft, or the like.

Ex. scratch paper.

'Scratch paper' and 'scratch pad' were in robust use here on the edge of
the Pacific, while I was growing up, and they are still intelligible and
reasonably common expressions.

PS is welcome to come out with his digital recording device and collect
samples of such folk expressions. I can get him a good rate on a hotel
near the rail yards, and would even buy him a pint or two.

Robert Paul
Department of Speech and Drama
Mutton College