[lit-ideas] Re: GRE Registration

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:26:32 -0400

This was announced on the SHARP List. It pointedly refers to our beloved
disquisition. -EY

_____

Distinguished type designer John Downer will deliver the 2004 Lieberman
Lecture at Chicago's Newberry Library on Saturday May 21, 2005 at 10
A.M.. Mr. Downer will speak on the topic "Trash or Fertilizer? The Uses
(or Not) of History in Type Design." The program will coincide with
other events at the Newberry Library and will be followed by a panel
discussion moderated by Paul F. Gehl, Curator of the John M. Wing
Collection at the Library.

John Downer will show letterforms from various sources and disciplines
to illustrate how text type takes its form from both typographic and
nontypographic exemplars. He will discuss the ways we have come to
regard certain letterforms as archaic, and others as contemporary. His
views on the subject are those of a master sign painter who became a
type designer in his quest to learn more about the structure of formal
letterforms and their history.