[lit-ideas] Re: GRE Registration

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:20:47 -0700

on 5/12/05 7:47 AM, Erin Holder at erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Scratch paper should NOT be used during
> untimed sections or during test breaks.

Perhaps the issue is not use but ownership.  Is the paper, like a passport,
subject to surrender?  Is it the "untimed sections scratch paper" or the
"untimed sections' scratch paper," or something else entirely?  To whom, if
anyone, does the paper belong?

For clues about why I'm burbling see the following:

I am reminded of the segment in "A Room of One's Own" in which scholars are
the only ones allowed to deviate from a path in a quod, the only ones
allowed to tread the soft grass.  Now it seems they have a path not of their
own... but instead are commanded--in the manner of the sign "Pedestrians
Walk"-- to keep to said path and maybe move along at the recommended pace.
Is this, I wonder, a sign of signs that the slightly-mighty have slipped,
socially, in the intervening period, possibly in response to theory... or
the advent of standardized testing?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon