[lit-ideas] Re: GRE Registration

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:42:41 -0700

 I always thought "scratch paper" was a decidedly "British" expression. I've
> PS> heard FOUR people say it in my life and ALL have been from the UK.

ck: I've used the expression "scratch paper" all my life, and I was born and
raised in NYC. Now that you mention it, though, I haven't heard the
expression recently. A generational thing, perhaps, The very concept of
polishing scribbled notes--whether on scratch paper or in IM form--also
seems to have gone out of favor.
Best,
Carol K.