[lit-ideas] Re: Conscious after the fact?

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

"Their findings challenge conventional notions of choice."

I've said for years that we don't make choices.  We have only compulsions..
The unconscious rules, and most of it's in place before age 6.  A child knows
if its environment is trustworthy by age 9 months.  We are driven throughout
our lives by decisions, not "decisions", but decisions that we make in infancy
and early childhood, and of course those decisions, all of them unconscious,
are gelled in later childhood and adolescence, including decisions to go to
war.  But of course, let's all now howl that our rights to brainlessly plunk
out a kid are being infringed and that's the end of the discussion.