[lit-ideas] Re: Conscious after the fact?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:22:44 -0230

Thanks to Phil E. for a very illuminating discussion of the social nature of
decisionmaking. I share most of his views, including all of his views in the
last 2 sentences of the post below. Phil's positions are very similar to the
ones I have in critically responding to Marc D. Hauser, the author of *Moral
minds: the nature of right and wrong* - a book I must read as penance for
losing a bet on the outcome of Euro 2008. I commend it to you all for the sole
reason that it demonstrates the physical possibility of a Harvard professor
running with a category mistake for 444 pages.

Bookjacket reads: "In his groundbreaking book, Marc Hauser puts forth a
revolutionary new theory: that humans have evolved a universal moral instinct,
unconsciously propelling us to deliver judgments of right and wrong independent
of gender, education and religion. Combining his cutting-edge research with the
latest findings in cognitive psychology, linguistics, neuroscience,
evolutionary biology, economics and anthropology, Hauser explores the startling
implications of his provoicative theory vis-a-vis contemporary bioethics,
religion, the law and our everyday lives."

The movie version should be out in a theatre near you before Christmas.

Walter O
MUN