[lit-ideas] Re: Conscious after the fact?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 02:36:12 +0900

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Drinking coffee in a relaxed situation could be managed by the
> sub-conscious (or pre-concious?) mind.

On the other hand, some of the research I mentioned  focuses specifically on
highly time-pressured decisions made by people like firemen or tank
commanders confronted with what are literally life-and-death situations.

 Recognition-primed decision making (Gary Klein) describes the process as
one that begins with a pattern recognition process in which the individual
compares incoming information with a set of possible models and acts on the
first to pop off the stack which seems to offer a reasonable fit with what
is going on (using satisficing heuristics instead of trying to calculate the
best possible model). Then, while action based on the model begins, another
part of the brain continues to monitor incoming information looking for
discrepancies that indicate a wrong model choice. When enough contradictory
information piles up, this triggers a new pattern recognition step; the
process continues until the situation is resolved. The critical factor here
is the range and richness of the models invoked by the pattern recognition
step. The more and richer the models the more likely it is that the one on
which action is based does, in fact, fit the situation well and yield the
desired result.

John

--
John McCreery