[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:06:30 -0400

Always and everywhere isn't the issue, because those words invalidate
nearly everything in the soft sciences.  If I said always and everywhere, I
was being sloppy and I retract always and everywhere.  There certainly are
rational people in the world, but they are not plentiful enough that the
world is a nice place.  Look around you, Robert.  Iraq, Iran, North Korea,
extreme pollution, blindness medication being withheld because there's not
enough money in it, WWII, the Civil War, inner cities, torture and on and
on.  History is not a litany of rationality.  On occasion it happens, but
usually no, so the only conclusion is that emotions call the shots.  If you
see things differently, then you see things differently. BTW, rationality
and its lack begins in childhood, even in infancy.  That's why parenting is
so important, and ironically, so virtually universally dismissed as
"women's work", including and perhaps especially the role of father.  But,
we've been around that block, there's no point in going there again.  If
the world is getting in any way better, it's because in some parts of the
world children are being treated better.  Not enough better, but better.

And now I have to get something done.  Take care.