[lit-ideas] Re: Alternative food sources

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 30, 2004 3:22 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Alternative food sources

Greg Downing:
> This deeply held cultural belief in the naturalness (i.e., the
> not-interfered-with-by-people-ness, using the common post-18C sense of
> 'natural') possessed by familiar foods is pure romanticism and
> sentimentalism.

Are plastics "unnatural"?  I used to take them to be because plastics are
human manufactured.  But then, honey doesn't occur except through bee
manufacture.  Is there an essential something to naturalness (ah, I hear JL
grumbling awake at the sound: "essential") to distinguish those things
brought about through "natural" bodily processes -- such as honey
production -- and those things produced external to bodies  but through the
natural bodily processes of intellect, such as plastics?

A.A.  To the extent that plastics cannot return into the environment, decompose
and be reformed by nature into something else, they are in my opinion
unnatural.  Having said that, not everything natural is wonderful.  Cyanide,
arsenic, tornados, Ebola, are all natural.

Andy Amago