[lit-ideas] Re: Al Zarqawi

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 12:02:28 -0700

A very interesting profile, Eric.

A couple of years ago I read Mary Anne Weaver's A Portrait of Egypt, A
Journey through the World of Militant Islam.  She is a gutsy lady --
fearless in going after a story.  I have a lot of respect for her.  On the
back cover it says, "She is not afraid to wander down dark alleys, taking us
from the pungent slums of Cairo . . . to a Saudi-funded militant
'university' near Peshawar on Pakistan's border with Afghanistan."   In
another place it says, "Mary Anne Weaver is a staff writer for The New
Yorker who has written numerous articles on the Islamic world, including
profiles of Benazir Bhutto and Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman.  She lives with her
husband in New York City."

If she were my wife, I'd be worried sick about what she does.

Lawrence