[lit-ideas] Re: A Question REALLY Answered

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:57:05 -0800

Paul Stone wrote:

Even the 'good' journalists are still, well, journalists. -- i went to a university which was very closely allied with a journalism school and because of this experience, coupled with the daily evidence in the media, I'm prejudiced against them. There are as many as I can count on one hand that I would actually take with more than a single grain of salt. I'm not familiar with Seymour Hersh. I'm just looking for the story, not A politically motivated, emotionally charged side of it. That's hard to find these days. I'm always open to suggestions.

Hersh exposed the My Lai massacre, in 1969. His reports (first published in the New Yorker) are in his book My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath (1970). His latest book, Chain of Command: the Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib, came out in paperback this August. I'm reading it, slowly; it's hard to be helplessly infuriated for very long.

Robert Paul
Reed College