[lit-ideas] Re: A Question REALLY Answered

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:05:50 -0800

On Dec 25, 2005, at 10:35 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

Specifically, he meant their lack of experience. The officer said that he had "not met one, not one, Iraqi who knew how to use a scope". They simply don't understand how to use weapons, act as an army, act as a team, and so on.

I wonder about the Iraq/Iran War. Did they just simply slaughter each other in the most primitive way?

"Andy" adds, "Iraqi soldiers are in fact not trainable in the sense that the American Army is trainable. "

May I call your attention to the following website

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/iran_iraq_war/iran_iraq_war3.php

which repeats, in different form, the claim that both Iraq and Iran's forces were unable to use scopes (the ref here is to tank scopes). And yet, you'll note, the air war was fought in sophisticated fashion.

You'll see that the infantry slaughter was very primitive, particularly once the Iranians put Mullahs in charge of military operations.

Is "Andy" saying that those people who choose to join Iraq's new armed forces are different from their American counterparts in some way: I.Q. or hand-eye co-ordination or willingness to listen and to be subject to military discipline? What makes them "untrainable"?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon