[lit-ideas] A Question REALLY Answered

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:43:12 -0500

IA: This is what I was getting at when I asked if men really liked that stuff or if they think they have to like it. If Quayle (if, repeat: if) Quayle (or any guy) can only get excited by pictures or fantasies of what would be under his Christmas tree, well then you draw the conclusion. It's strange how humans have these big brains that are all but useless for reality but in overdrive for fantasy and what if. Makes me want to revisit Anton Chekov.

I think it's precisely BECAUSE of our 'big brains' that we need something left to the imagination. The reason that Maxim has taken over from Playboy and Penthouse is because they DON'T "show it all". Apart from the fact that they can then capture the pubescent male population [legally], they can also APPEAL to the lechery that's swimming below the surface of even the most Brainy of men.

They LEAVE something for guys to salivate over and make up their own finishing picture. The ever-present "hands over breast shot" in Maxim lets men IMAGINE their favourite type of 'tit'. The provocative thumb-in-the-underwear (as if she's pulling them down) pose lets the guys IMAGINE what is underneath. At the same time, the star/model/skank gets to remove herself from being associated as a full-on skank, because she "left something to his imagination".

The world is so stripped down [pun intended] anymore that something that let's both sides (reps and dems) play the game -- the libs get to get some skin, the reps are still staring at a 'clothed' woman.

It's possible that women may not need men, but Men SURE AS HELL need woman, for at least ONE thing anyway. It's funny that that one thing is the exact same thing that women [increasingly] don't need us for. Porn/Erotica/Skin Mags are men's answer to women's lack of sexual desire (in proportion and definitely, when present, not explicitly stated -- by women), the sybian, vibrators, lesbian-chic etc.

The bottom line is that men, through NO FAULT of marketing ARE [even if subconsciously so] obsessed by getting off. The marketing has catered to this, NOT vice-versa. Women, even those who think they can assume the identity of men, will never understand our lot in life.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada