[lit-ideas] Re: 3 SUICIDES AT GUANTANAMO

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:23:34 -0400

Simon: I'll ask the question again Eric: is victory over a perceived enemy a sufficient price for a totalitarian regime. Because that's what the US govt is creating and that's what you are advocating.

You've stacked the deck by the way you phrased the question. Let me rewrite it and see if you go along with the rewriting.

"Is victory over a real enemy with a desire to acquire and use weapons of mass destruction on civilian populations a sufficient reason to abridge some freedoms temporarily and ruthlessly pursue victory?"

Answer: Yes.

Precedent: Freedoms were abridged during World War II, and then relaxed after the war was successfully concluded. Far from creating a totalitarian dark age, wartime restrictions saved lives and were abandoned when they served their purpose.

Radical Islamic governments on the other hand will permanently create a totalitarian state, since they have all the answers in their little book, and demonstrate little flexibility or capacity to evolve notions of secular human rights.