[LRflex] Re: a 4/3 sensor to match the 36mm size?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:27:18 -0800

Dave Saalsa offered:

The only problem is the mirror size with a larger than full 24 x 36 mm format. Clearance with the rear element is an issue. Coverage of the circle of confusion is not the issue here. The lenses will cover anything up to 36 x 36 mm. But mirror clearance is the issue as I see it and the larger the mirror the slower the max. shutter speeds.

Mirror size may not be a problem. The original Leica mount was designed so that the mirror could flip up. The mount was deep enough that when long lenses were used, there was not any finder cut-off. (Remember, finder cut-off results in a dark band at the top of the finder, when very long lenses are used, but does not affect the image, as photographed.)

When they tied up with Minolta, they learned the trick of hinging the mirror so that it swings up and back. This allowed the use of a mirror which yielded more clearance at the back of the lend. Using this trick we might see a mirror that works for most lenses, but will not allow the use of the one or two current optics which need that extra clearance. There might also be a return of finder cut-off with lenses 400mm+ in fc. However, it would work, perfectly, with shorter FC lenses, which are the norm for most, except for Doug and I.

They may, of course, have other tricks up their sleeve which will prevent the "dreaded" mirror cut-off.

As Doug said ... it will be interesting to watch what they do!