[LRflex] Re: a 4/3 sensor to match the 36mm size?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:51:22 -0800

Dave Saalsaa wrote:

The only problem is the mirror size with a larger than full 24 x 36 mm format. Clearance with the rear element is an issue. Coverage of the circle of confusion is not the issue here. The lenses will cover anything up to 36 x 36 mm. But mirror clearance is the issue as I see it and the larger the mirror the slower the max. shutter speeds.

Dave

Hi  Dave!

Mirror clearance "may" be an issue, but I think there is enough room to allow another 3 mm of mirror - if we accept some finder cut-off or if we accept that one or two of the current optics which require the extra clearance, may not be compatible. What I don't see, is how you figure that max shutter speeds would be affected.

True, a vertical run shutter would have to traverse the additional 3mm, but that's just 12.5% further. Speeds of excess of 1/7000th would still be possible, without any improvement in shutter mechanisms. Given that shutters generally have a +/- 10% tolerance, they could give us 1/7000th and tell us it was 1/8000th, and we'd likely never know! More importantly, I suspect that such a small increase in blade speed should be possible.

Just my 2 cents worth.