[LRFlex] Re: Will it ever arrive?

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:14:08 -0600

Hi all,

> From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm curious... how many of us NEED to add a digital SLR to the
> arsenal, vs, how many WANT to.  There are many legitimate
> reasons one would need to purchase a digital body right away
> but I suspect there's a lot of jumping on  the bandwagon too.

I find this an interesting question, because it illuminates the emotional
aspect of making such a purchase. Many of the comments made by those who
have yet to acquire a digital camera as well as some of those who are
fairly new to digital emphasize the importance of expectations when prying
open one's wallet.  ;-)

My decision to purchase a digital camera was based on its benefits for
some uses; it is really an addition to the arsenal rather than a
replacement for film. However, having worked with digital images for quite
some time, my expectations are really quite different from these recent
comments. For example, I don't find digital to be a faster way to create
print images than film. If one is only shooting snapshots, and one lives
within close proximity of a lab, then the time to have prints in hand is
pretty much identical (David - if you're planning to email your images for
prints, I hope you're also planning to install a T1 line). Other than for
casual uses such as emailing low-resolution images, one can expect to
spend time behind the computer screen selecting, editing and preparing
images for prints. Even the process of archiving the "keepers" takes
significant amounts of time, which may be why the majority of digital
users don't do this (and all that implies).

Will the DM-R be a better product than other digital cameras that are
available today? I'm skeptical. To address David Young's comment, "The
Leica will be the ONLY dSLR which does not have an anti-aliasing filter in
front of the sensor", well, not quite so. The Kodak 14n (16 mp full-frame)
lacked an anti-aliasing filter years ago, and was severely panned in the
photo media because of it. Later, Kodak added the option to use
anti-aliasing, and today, nearly all cameras with Bayer pattern sensors
employ it.

To those that WANT to go digital but haven't done so yet, I'd strongly
recommend getting some kind of digital camera without spending a lot of
money to get a first-hand feel for what working in the digital realm
involves. You just may not like it much at all.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Best regards,

Neil Gould