[LRFlex] Re: Will it ever arrive?

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:56:32 -0800

At 2/21/2005, you wrote:

I'm curious... how many of us NEED to add a digital SLR to the arsenal, vs,
how many WANT to.  There are many legitimate reasons one would need to
purchase a digital body right away but I suspect there's a lot of jumping on
the bandwagon too.

Doug Herr

Hi Doug!

You are, again, right. Most likely none of us NEED a digital. The much vaunted advantages for news and sports photographers are not really needed for amateurs.

I am thinking of digital because I am in the process of moving to a small town (pop. 2400) where it is an hours drive to drop off a roll of film. I'd prefer digital so that I can then email the files for the prints I want, to the nearest town; and pick them up on my weekly or semi-monthly trip.

With film, in such a situation, I'm looking at two or four weeks to see my pictures. After living, for years, just a 5 minute walk from a good lab that offers cheap, next day service, I don't find a two to four week wait acceptable.

I agree, however, that most of us (and most digital buyers overall) are interested in digital solely for the instant gratification that used to be the purview of Polaroid.

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm