[LRflex] Re: Breathing easier, now.

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 23:51:33 +0100

Thanks for keeping us aware of the problems David.

I've just spent a 'couple' of hours dubbing the HDs onto the Mac - I'll then convert them to DNG and burn some DVD - I sometimes wonder why all the fuss - yet you just experienced that it is worthwhile.
Good luck with the rest of your stock.
Amitiés
Philippe

David Young wrote:

Fellow Flexers:

Recently we had a discussion, here, about digital workflow, and making backups.

Today, a DVD burned in 2005 proved unreadable. I went to the backup disc and it too was unreadable.

I then went to my archived DVD and although it proved difficult to read, it was readable after about 2 to 3 minutes of hunting, by the drive.

I have now copied it to HD and from there back to 3 new DVDs. All read-back perfectly.

In this case, I do not suspect any problem with the Fuji discs, but rather with the older, now gone, DVD writer, which I had previously used.

Still, it proves the need for good backup procedures, with multiple backups. If you have only one backup, such an outboard HD, you might well be "in the glue", should that fail.

I hope none of you ever suffer such a fate, with your photos.