[LRflex] Re: Breathing easier, now.

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 20:40:17 -0500

Gary E wrote:
Charlie,

Wasn't saying DAT isn't good for music.  I interned at a recording studio in my
college days and that was one of the medium used for portable recorders to
collect on the set sounds and environmental noise.
Gary,
  It recorded music well, I should have said, but the data integrity
could be an issue.  You had to run cleaning tapes pretty often, and
get the data off the tape quickly, or you could end up loosing
data, and eventually the transport would start eating tapes. My oldest audio DAT tapes are from '98 and they are all OK so far.
  I have a lot of CDs out of several hundred that are more than
20 years old and I have yet to have one be unplayable.  That doesn't
mean that there isn't data loss because CD players don't report soft
error rate.  All of those are printed CDs.  I've only had the
burner for a few years. I have some 1/4 inch analog tape that is more than 50 years old
and plays well, but some from the 70s that has the sticky shed problem,
and will need to be baked to recover what's on it.  I've read that the
tape suppliers understand the sticky shed problem and how to prevent it,
but I also know that the problem in the first place was caused by
an "improvement" to the binder.  And of course during all that time
the claimed life of analog tape was given as "forever."
  All the reasonable solutions still involve periodic copies, it
seems.

--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
 one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein