[kismac] Re: Google Summer of Code

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:24:55 -0600

There is a patch on track for setting color based on crack probability. It would be pretty easy to adapt. I do however agree that kismac should not log in, leave that to the user.

Geoff On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:16 PM, gmail wrote:

Perhaps, although cruising around town with him, we saw a LOT of routers on the default channel/SSID/etc, but none of them we tried had the default password. There were two it flagged a different color (yellow, if I recall), that I was able to log into perfectly on my powerbook.

I need to email him, my mind's all confused now.

-Adem

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Kevin Bringard wrote:

I think it just flags them differently if it meets a certain set of
"default" criteria, like, the BSSID is "linksys" and the channel is
"6" and the IP range is 192.168.1.x.

As far as I know (and I have not used Kismet in some time) it doesn't
actually log into the router and let you know if its using a default
password

Hope this helps..

-- Kevin

On 4/16/06, gmail <theholymacintosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Huh. I could have sworn that on my bud's linux setup, kismet listed routers
with a full default setup showed up differently. But now that I think about
it, I have no idea how, since you're absolutely correct.

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Barry Woods wrote:
No. Kismet isn't a cient manager, it just listens. You can't connect while
in rfmon.

On 4/16/06, gmail < theholymacintosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Doesn't kismet already do this (idea #4)?

On Apr 16, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Barry Woods wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! Okay, I just don't want anybody to get into trouble. :)

On 4/16/06, Patrick Kelley <opticrealm@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I said that some of the ideas were crazy.

I call it, "brain-storming."

In photography, sometimes you have to take a lot of pictures to get a
few good ones.

In brain-storming, you have to think up a lot of ieas to get a few good
ones.

Anyways, if you implemented idea 6, then kismac would change your MAC
address, making Idea 4 somewhat untraceable! (untraceable = no prison
time!!!) (Just kidding...)

On 4/16/06, Barry Woods < barry99705@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Uhh, I think I'd like to stay out of prison, thank you very much.

On 4/15/06, Patrick Kelley < opticrealm@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Here are some Google Summer of Code Ideas. They get crazier further
down the list...

Idea 4) - If encryption was disabled, Kismac would automatically try
to login to the wireless router using the manufacturers' default password.
If it worked, a different color would be displayed in the map view.

On 4/15/06, Geoffrey Kruse < gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I'll look into it :)

Geoff

On Apr 15, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Patrick Kelley wrote:

Is the Kismac project planning to put in a proposal to be a mentor
for the Google Summer of Code 2006?

http://code.google.com/soc/

Patrick Kelley
623.332.0290