[kismac] Re: Google Summer of Code

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 18:19:46 +0930

They are Google, but they don't have infinite funds. I guess we just weren't picked.
On 29/05/2006, at 5:45 AM, Geoffrey A Kruse wrote:

Absolutely no reason whatsoever. Just an "I'm sorry Dave" "I can't do
that Dave"
:(

Geoff

Did they give a reason?

nmap is on there.  So is the OSVDB.  That proves they don't have a
problem with security software.

On 5/27/06, Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We were turned down by google. :(

Geoff On May 27, 2006, at 10:26 PM, Patrick Kelley wrote:

Whatever happened with our proposal to mentor a student for the Google
summer of code?

Did Google ever reply?

--------------------
Patrick Kelley
623.332.0290
http://www.ASUrobot.com/
Computer Systems Engineer
Arizona State University

On 4/16/06, Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've put in a notice of interest to google.  They said they will
review our project and get back to us.

Geoff
On Apr 16, 2006, at 10:27 PM, themacuser wrote:

Sorry, I've missed all this (haven't been on the net for a few
days, down at a holiday house).

Sounds like fun. What I think:
Idea 1: Good idea. Definitely do this.
Idea 2: Interesting... but probably not entirely needed.
Idea 3: Cool.
Idea 4: NO WAY. Detect the default from the SSID/Channel/
Encryption. Don't make it connect for the user.
Idea 5: Interesting, but don't want to make it skript kiddie
heaven...
Idea 6: Could be done...
Idea 7: Hmmm. Bit too illegal. Why not just use ettercap?
Idea 8: There are already programs to do this.
Idea 9: This can sort-of already be done. Sort-of. Try the "beacon
flooding" option. I'll work on making it actually usable. If you
turn down the interval (with my advanced prefs) patch, it can be
done.

interesting ideas though. Summer of Code sounds good.

Getting money thrown around a project like this, there is the issue
of who gets it though, and for what purpose... that could be
interesting.

On 17/04/2006, at 11:54 AM, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:

There is a patch on track for setting color based on crack
probability.   It would be pretty easy to adapt.  I do however
agree that kismac should not log in, leave that to the user.

Geoff On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:16 PM, gmail wrote:

Perhaps, although cruising around town with him, we saw a LOT of
routers on the default channel/SSID/etc, but none of them we
tried had the default password. There were two it flagged a
different color (yellow, if I recall), that I was able to log
into perfectly on my powerbook.

I need to email him, my mind's all confused now.

-Adem

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Kevin Bringard wrote:

I think it just flags them differently if it meets a certain
set of
"default" criteria, like, the BSSID is "linksys" and the
channel is
"6" and the IP range is 192.168.1.x.

As far as I know (and I have not used Kismet in some time) it
doesn't
actually log into the router and let you know if its using a
default
password

Hope this helps..

-- Kevin

On 4/16/06, gmail <theholymacintosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Huh. I could have sworn that on my bud's linux setup, kismet
listed routers
with a full default setup showed up differently. But now that
I think about
it, I have no idea how, since you're absolutely correct.

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Barry Woods wrote:
No. Kismet isn't a cient manager, it just listens. You can't
connect while
in rfmon.

On 4/16/06, gmail < theholymacintosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Doesn't kismet already do this (idea #4)?

On Apr 16, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Barry Woods wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! Okay, I just don't want anybody to get into
trouble. :)

On 4/16/06, Patrick Kelley <opticrealm@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I said that some of the ideas were crazy.

I call it, "brain-storming."

In photography, sometimes you have to take a lot of pictures
to get a
few good ones.

In brain-storming, you have to think up a lot of ieas to get
a few good
ones.

Anyways, if you implemented idea 6, then kismac would change
your MAC
address, making Idea 4 somewhat untraceable! (untraceable = no
prison
time!!!) (Just kidding...)

On 4/16/06, Barry Woods < barry99705@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Uhh, I think I'd like to stay out of prison, thank you very
much.

On 4/15/06, Patrick Kelley < opticrealm@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Here are some Google Summer of Code Ideas. They get crazier further
down the list...

Idea 4) - If encryption was disabled, Kismac would
automatically try
to login to the wireless router using the manufacturers'
default password.
If it worked, a different color would be displayed in the map
view.

On 4/15/06, Geoffrey Kruse < gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I'll look into it :)

Geoff

On Apr 15, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Patrick Kelley wrote:

Is the Kismac project planning to put in a proposal to be
a mentor
for the Google Summer of Code 2006?

http://code.google.com/soc/

Patrick Kelley