[kismac] Re: Google Summer of Code

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 23:11:47 -0700

I've put in a notice of interest to google. They said they will review our project and get back to us.

Geoff
On Apr 16, 2006, at 10:27 PM, themacuser wrote:

Sorry, I've missed all this (haven't been on the net for a few days, down at a holiday house).

Sounds like fun. What I think:
Idea 1: Good idea. Definitely do this.
Idea 2: Interesting... but probably not entirely needed.
Idea 3: Cool.
Idea 4: NO WAY. Detect the default from the SSID/Channel/ Encryption. Don't make it connect for the user.
Idea 5: Interesting, but don't want to make it skript kiddie heaven...
Idea 6: Could be done...
Idea 7: Hmmm. Bit too illegal. Why not just use ettercap?
Idea 8: There are already programs to do this.
Idea 9: This can sort-of already be done. Sort-of. Try the "beacon flooding" option. I'll work on making it actually usable. If you turn down the interval (with my advanced prefs) patch, it can be done.

interesting ideas though. Summer of Code sounds good.

Getting money thrown around a project like this, there is the issue of who gets it though, and for what purpose... that could be interesting.

On 17/04/2006, at 11:54 AM, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:

There is a patch on track for setting color based on crack probability. It would be pretty easy to adapt. I do however agree that kismac should not log in, leave that to the user.

Geoff On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:16 PM, gmail wrote:

Perhaps, although cruising around town with him, we saw a LOT of routers on the default channel/SSID/etc, but none of them we tried had the default password. There were two it flagged a different color (yellow, if I recall), that I was able to log into perfectly on my powerbook.

I need to email him, my mind's all confused now.

-Adem

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Kevin Bringard wrote:

I think it just flags them differently if it meets a certain set of
"default" criteria, like, the BSSID is "linksys" and the channel is
"6" and the IP range is 192.168.1.x.

As far as I know (and I have not used Kismet in some time) it doesn't
actually log into the router and let you know if its using a default
password

Hope this helps..

-- Kevin

On 4/16/06, gmail <theholymacintosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Huh. I could have sworn that on my bud's linux setup, kismet listed routers
with a full default setup showed up differently. But now that I think about
it, I have no idea how, since you're absolutely correct.

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Barry Woods wrote:
No. Kismet isn't a cient manager, it just listens. You can't connect while
in rfmon.

On 4/16/06, gmail < theholymacintosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Doesn't kismet already do this (idea #4)?

On Apr 16, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Barry Woods wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! Okay, I just don't want anybody to get into trouble. :)

On 4/16/06, Patrick Kelley <opticrealm@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I said that some of the ideas were crazy.

I call it, "brain-storming."

In photography, sometimes you have to take a lot of pictures to get a
few good ones.

In brain-storming, you have to think up a lot of ieas to get a few good
ones.

Anyways, if you implemented idea 6, then kismac would change your MAC
address, making Idea 4 somewhat untraceable! (untraceable = no prison
time!!!) (Just kidding...)

On 4/16/06, Barry Woods < barry99705@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Uhh, I think I'd like to stay out of prison, thank you very much.

On 4/15/06, Patrick Kelley < opticrealm@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Here are some Google Summer of Code Ideas. They get crazier further
down the list...

Idea 4) - If encryption was disabled, Kismac would automatically try
to login to the wireless router using the manufacturers' default password.
If it worked, a different color would be displayed in the map view.

On 4/15/06, Geoffrey Kruse < gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I'll look into it :)

Geoff

On Apr 15, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Patrick Kelley wrote:

Is the Kismac project planning to put in a proposal to be a mentor
for the Google Summer of Code 2006?

http://code.google.com/soc/

Patrick Kelley
623.332.0290