[JA] Re: juno5bdb - Just One Folder?

  • From: "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:07:46 -0800

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 Linda WJ <pettey-admin@xxxxxxxx> writes:

  >>You might also want to consider using a more versatile
  >>e-mail program for that archive installation, one where you
  >>could do the multi-tiering of which you wrote.

>Suggestions?

Hi Linda, and All,

Well, you probably already have Outlook Express, so I'd try it for
awhile and see if it does what you want it to.  Otherwise we're hearing
good things about Mozilla and others could tell you if it's capable of
multi-tier storage and Eudora is certainly capable and easy to get your
messages imported from Juno via juno5bdb.

  >>As long as I keep them in .bdb/.atr pairs I can just move
  >> them back into a user folder replacing the current
  >>mailbox.bdb & .atr files temporarily and Juno never
  >>knows the difference.

>But if your messages are all zipped up, etc. how do you ever
>find the message that you got sometime in the last year that
>refered to "James William UNGERVAGT?"   (I just use the
>"Search for messages" under "Edit.")

If I thought this message was from last spring, I'd first rename my
current mailbox.bdb & .atr files from the appropriate account to
malebox.bdb & atr.  Then I'd extract the mailbox.bdb & .atr from my
mailbox03-04.03.zip file directly into the \user folder. Open Juno and
use the same search technique as you mention.  If good ol' "Ungervagt"
wasn't in there, I close Juno, then extract the mailbox.bdb & .atr files
from mailbox05-06.03.zip file into the same \user folder overwriting the
March-April files with the May-June files, open Juno and run the search
again.  When I was finished I'd delete the May-Juno mailbox.bdb & .atr
files and rename the malebox.bdb & .atr files back to mailbox.bdb &
.atr.

Now remember, our discussion has been focused on Juno 5 and my question
back to you is how will you find "James William UNGERVAGT" after your
150+ meg Juno 5 mailbox files (if you've kept all your messages "handy")
get corrupted?

Which version of Juno you use depends on a number of factors.  I've
offered up archiving and running a lean mailbox as one method of
mitigating the Juno 5 mailbox "corruption syndrome", but "how often" you
might want to actually locate and use old messages could override the
good archiving might accomplish.  I rarely look for a message over a
couple months old, so it works for me.  But I was going to be looking
for old messages two or three times a week, I'd probably be looking for
a different solution, or a different version.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.