[JA] Re: Saving Web Pages to Hard Drive

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 18:45:29 PDT

}Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:54:32 -0700
}Subject: [JA] Saving Web Pages to Hard Drive
}From: thepccat
}
}I am still learning [aren't we all?]. This time the hard way, that
saving
}a webpage as a .mht "Web archive, single file" is a bad idea since it
can
}only be opened by the same major version of IE which created it [how
}rotten is that?]. I'd like to get smart on saving web pages to my hard
}drive compactly, simply, and without losing information.
}
}OK, we see stuff on the Internet, and want to save it to our HD, because
}we want it right here for use, and because they way things are going,
}much is "here today, gone tomorrow." The goal of saving, naturally, is
}preserve the information -- but doing that is not easy nor obvious [at
}least to me].

}[5] A final choice for Save As in IE is "Web Page Complete" .htm, .html.
}This saves, in the same directory, the html page and a folder with the
}same name containing all the graphics. This is pretty nice [and large],
}except you still don't have the originating URL, and the folder could
get
}lost later if you are not aware it needs to be kept with the html file.
}wonder if this choice would also have the problem of corrupting relative
}html links in the page. I suppose one could save a text file with the
}same name, containing the URL. Is there any simple means to insert the
}URL dependably into the html file?

        I am not sure how this saves, but I think the links should be
there, and perhaps the relative links will be converted to work.  As for
size, the directory could be compressed to one .ZIP file.  As I recall,
HTML compresses well, though JPeG and most GIF files are internally
compressed, so they will not compress more.

        One thing that I do not like about the 32 bit windowz is the lack
of a 32 bit command line.  At least they added the "start" command, for
starting 32 bit apps from a DOS command line.
--
| Computerist.    KG6HNO  This user is located in California.  It is a
violation of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this
user.
---