[JA] Re: Juno 5 User file identities

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:37:16 PDT

}Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:17:54 -0500
}Subject: [JA] Juno 5 User file identities
}From: "Robert M. Cosby"

}get, put, addrbook.bak, addrbook.nv, dialprof.ovl, filterls.vbs,
}filters.vbs, history, juno.ini, mailbox.at2, mailbox.atr, mailbox.bdb,
}Pop3info, Pop3info.~, Uignore.tlx, filterls.vb~, and filters.vb~ .
}

        *.bak is a backup of *.???
        *.*~ is a backup of *.*?

        *.tlx is related to spell check.

        filter*.* would be related to the incoming-mail-filters.

        get and put are directories used for temporary files.

        dialprof.* in the user directory?  In the other directories there
is one for setting the dial up number configuration. (numbers and
protocols)

        pop3info.* When did juno support pop3 ???  There WAS a popinfo in
another juno directory that had the juno dialing info (ALL of it,
almost.), but here?  POP = Point Of Presents ... POP3 = Post Office
Protocol Three.

        juno.ini in the user directory is the users configuration
        juno.ini in one of the other juno directories is global juno
configuration.
        juno.ini in the windows directory is extracts from all of the
other juno.ini files.

}I don't know which are "text files".  We can discuss J4 files another
}day.  Those are also inaccessible.

        All of the juno.ini, most of the *.ini and some of the *.nv files
are readable.  Some may be readable but not editable!

        Most of the user*\*.tlx files are readable.

        in versions 1-4, fold*.frm are the mail folders, and director.frm
is their naming index.

}Frankly, my experience with attempts at importing J files using their
}Import File feature has been uniformly abysmal.  Once it imported
}something from the wrong User folder and screwed things up, and several
}times it said it imported the email, but showed nothing in the In box,
}and then locked itself up saying for lack of "memory" (no such lack on
my
}computer's part).
}
}Of course, as I may have mentioned.  I have twice lost 3,500+ messages
in
}In box alone, and similar in Sent mail, not to mention all drafts,
}personal spell check data, etc.

        This sounds a bit like a disk space problem.  Both RAM and DISK
are heavily used, especially on later versions!

}BTW, why don't they get a better dictionary?  I have one the size of a
}credit card which is far better than theirs, containing 80,000 words,
and
}use it to check Spell Check!

        Or at least provide support for using an external one!
--
| Computerist.    KG6HNO  This user is located in California.  It is a
violation of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this
user.
---