[JA] Re: Juno 5 User file identities

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 13:15:54 -0700

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 "Robert M. Cosby" <jvpoa@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>...I discovered that J5 will take more than the 50 email addresses

Hi Bob, and All,

But not in J4?

>...you can then cut the addresses from the Send to box, and
>paste them into Outlook Express for sending a larger quantity

So why not use Outlook Express entirely?  Seems you've sort of outgrown
Juno.

>The names on my 17 old J5 files, most of which I cannot identify or
>access are ( the only one I do understand and am able to save and
>reinstall is addrbook.nv):

> get, put, addrbook.bak, addrbook.nv, dialprof.ovl, filterls.vbs,
> filters.vbs, history, juno.ini, mailbox.at2, mailbox.atr,
> mailbox.bdb, Pop3info, Pop3info.~, Uignore.tlx, filterls.vb~, and
>filters.vb~ .

Get and Put are Juno system work folders.  For instance, Juno puts newly
downloaded mail, which is transmitted in a compressed format, into the
Get folder if I remember correctly and expands it there before moving it
into the appropriate folder.

Address.nv and address.bak are a pair of files Juno uses for your Address
Book.  Juno uses this two-file technique several times in the program.
When you make a change to your Address Book, Juno modifies your
address.nv file maintaining the address.bak file as is in case something
goes wrong.  Upon exiting Juno, it then overwrites your old address.bak
with a copy of the "new" address.nv file.  Both of these files are text
files, by the way.  You can make copies of them with .txt extensions and
open them with Notepad.

The dialprof.ovl file contains information about this account's dialing
profile.  The number you're calling from and dialing data for your
selected access numbers.  This is also a text file and can be viewed by
making a copy with a .txt extension and opening it with Notepad.

The two filter*.vbs files are two files Juno uses to for its Mail
Assistants.  These are Visual Basic script files and only the jumble of
binary code can be viewed in Notepad.  I believe one is a basic list of
the filters (filterls) and maybe their order to be applied, etc., and the
other is the actual filters.  The two filter*.vb~ files are, again, part
of Juno's two-file backup file system...   filters.vbs and it's backup,
filters.vb~, and filterls.vbs and filterls.vb~...

History... appears to be a log file of some sort.  Can't tell for certain
because it's a binary file, but it "grows" each time you actually
transfer mail, either sending or receiving.

The juno.ini file is a "configuration" file pertinent to a particular
user account.  It contains quite a bit of information such as the user's
text preferences, web preferences, e-mail preferences, signature if any,
username and password, machine ID, and much more.  This is another text
file, by the way, and may be viewed by making a copy with a .txt
extension and opening it with Notepad.

Your mailbox.??? files are database files Juno uses to store your folders
and messages.  The .bdb file is the main storage file and the .at* files
are the database index files.  By reviewing their size and last time/date
modified after you create new folders or retrieve new messages will be
the easiest way to see how they work.  These are binary files, but your
messages can be read in them.  Make a copy of mailbox.bdb giving the new
file a .doc file if you have MS Word and you'll be able to open the copy
and see your messages.  If you do the above, you'll have to scroll down
quite a ways in Word to get to your messages...   if you don't have Word,
you can always try the .txt extension and see if Wordpad can handle it.
But with all the stored messages you've mentioned, I wouldn't be too
surprised if Wordpad isn't capable of handling that big a file.

The popinfo files are binary files and are probably "point-of-presence"
information files.  Each local access phone number, for instance, is a
point-of-presence.  Anybody else have an idea as to how these files
actually fit into the grand scheme?

The uignore.tlx file is the user's "Personal" dictionary file.  It's
where Juno sticks a word you "Add" to the dictionary.  It's another text
file and words can be added directly to it through Notepad, for instance.

>...and then locked itself up saying for lack of "memory" (no such lack
>on my computer's part).

Hmmm...  this is the second time you've mentioned getting these lack of
memory messages and for reasons not so easy to see that may, indeed, be a
problem.  But this message is dragging out as it is...

>Of course, as I may have mentioned.  I have twice lost 3,500+
>messages in In box alone, and similar in Sent mail, not to
>mention all drafts, personal spell check data, etc.

Do you ever use Juno's Backup Wizard?

>BTW, why don't they get a better dictionary?  I have one the
>size of a credit card which is far better than theirs, containing
>80,000 words, and use it to check Spell Check!

A common enough complaint Bob...  for all practical purposes they've used
the same dictionary program since day one...  the Sentry Spellchecker
engine from Wintergreen, circa 1993!  Juno must have gotten a heck of a
deal from them...

I tried adding a couple hundred thousand words to the uignore.tlx file
once and running a spell check really brought my poor old Juno to it's
knees.  Funny thing is, back in the good old days when Juno first hit the
streets, one of the things that endeared it to many users was the fact
that it HAD a dictionary when many other e-mail programs of time didn't.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.