[JA] Proposed FAQ

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:35:49 -0500

> From: Jamie Orr <jamieorr@xxxxxxxx>

> And not to make too much work, but know limitations to Juno
> and the various versions would be wonderful.  For example,
> maximum size of mailbox allowed (4? MB - it changes), or
> w/ Juno 1.49 the maximum number of messages in a folder (I
> believe 1000 is considered about the limit), although I don't
> know the maximum number of Folders allowed, etc. would be
> beneficial.

Ignorance made me omit these questions.  Besides, the audience in mind
are newby lightweights, unlikely to push the limits, rather than the kind
of people who generally participate in mailing lists.  Let's see, it
could be made a question about the various limits of the service and of
the offline mailer, or maybe better first a question about the mailbox
and then one about folders.

Q:  What if I don't pick up my mail every day?

A:  Incoming mail will accumulate at Juno's central computers.  If you
are not heard from for several months, the company will delete your
account and your unreceived mail.  If anyone sends you a few Megabytes of
mail (thousands of messages of usual length, for example, or dozens of
long ones with pictures attached) your "mailbox" in Juno's central
computers will fill up and reject all later messages until you call and
download your messages.  There are also limits, such as how many
thousands of lines your messages may be, how many dozens of times you may
call in a day, how many hundreds of messages you may send in a day, etc.
In general, Juno mail is a consumer service, poorly suited to heavy or
commercial E-mail users.

Q:  What are the folder limits?

A:  Juno versions 1.49 and 4 are limited to a thousand messages in a
folder.  This includes the "inbox" folder.  Juno 5 doesn't have that
limit, but in any case it is not wise to keep many hundreds of messages
in the "inbox" or in any single folder.  Either kill your old messages
entirely or create folders to move them to.  How many folders are allowed
is unknown.

There.  The first one is rather long, but I can't see where to cut it
without making it more confusing to people who, for example, never heard
of an E-mail "mailbox" or are uncertain of the relevance of a Megabyte of
mail.  Its vagueness, I figure, is appropriate.  The second one is not
quite so vague, and is thus more subject to obsolescence or outright
error.

> From: Graham J Pearce <gjpearce@xxxxxxxx>

> >10  What does Juno's free Web require?

>JH >MS-Windows 95 or later.  Microsoft Internet Explorer 3 or later
> > (any version that came with Windows 98 or later will do).

GP>   That should say IE v.4 or later. To quote from the Juno 5 help

I think Juno 4 can make do with IE3, but haven't tried it myself.  In any
case IE3 is rare enough to make the question practically moot, so you're
right; it's best to say 4 or later, and let the adventurous push the
limits of antiquity if they like.

GP>   Of course, the 'premium' services do not require IE4 or later,
> because they don't need its special ad-banner mechanisms.

I assume they still need a browser installed, since Juno 4 uses the
Microsoft HTML engine to display messages.   And who would pay for Juno
but not want to crawl the Web?   Anyway the FAQ deliberately slights
questions relevant to paid users, and concentrates on what is nearly
unique about Juno:  You can be served for free.

> From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx

> Comments:Remarkably good. Restrained, yet accurate and conversational.

Ooh, flattery will get you everywhere!

> Suggestions:One thing missing is that, in comparison to Juno
> email via client, Juno's WebMail service has been, and continues
> to be, problematic, and may not reliably meet your needs.

I didn't address the topic at all, putting Webmail the category where
what you don't know won't hurt you.  However, I guess it could be
addressed as follows:

Q:  Do I have to use the offline mailer?

A:  No, Juno has a Webmail site where you can read and write your mail
online.  The company changed the software of this site during 2001, but
users continued to complain that it is slow and inconvenient.  Some
called it unreliable.  Almost everyone is happier with the Juno offline
mailer.

> Thanks for taking the FAQ on.

Actually I have no responsibility.  I just had a spare hour and started
writing.  Whether Brian will put it in the Web site, I do not know.  I
hope he will, and also hope the old FAQ is shuffled off to a reliquary
rather than deleted.

> From: Jèrel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>

>         Juno 1.49 still runs (or crawls) on most windows 3.1x systems.

Right.  I mentioned it later.  I figure such systems are rare enough
nowadays (except among Accmail listateers) to be considered separately.

> It should also run on the windows 3 support option of OS/2, if you
> have that.  I have not read of anyone getting it to run under linux,
yet.

Thanks.   Pushing the limits of antique technology is a worthy
undertaking.   It just lacks relevance to the kind of people who most
need guidance and Juno.  I mean, how many have heard of OS/2?  There
isn't much overlap between that group and the ones who need our help to
benefit from Juno.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org