[JA] Re: Free Rider Web Hours

  • From: rsgilmore@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:43:18 -0500

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:21:28 -0800 "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>  According to NetZero it's 10 hr per phone line.  Ten accounts using
the same phone line  ...  but the next minute used by anyone...  wham...
cut off.
>>   Maybe I'll make up a few extra NetZero accounts and try
experimenting with them over Thanksgiving and see what happens.  Might as
well give Juno a go too...

--  here's something for your "one phone line" experiment, George:
In  Connection> AccessNumber>  your "dial from" number is shared by all
accounts on the machine:  Changing that entry for ONE user, drags all the
others along too...
stores it to:   \juno\lib\dialprof.nv

peek inside with a text editor -- about halfway down -- you'll find YOUR
phone# -- or whatever you put in the box...
(.      Dial Data Version:4.113
.       Name:4
.       Source Area Code0:212
.       Source Exchange0:555
.       Source Number0:2125556789
)
also makes a change to \juno\lib\passwd.frm   (but it's unreadable
machine hex )

Now, wonder if changing that would have an effect of "resetting" some
clock for another user-name ??
Heck, It's not like they're using CallerID to track you, or expect to
call you back at that #...

Suspect NZ has a similar scheme.

Other Oddities:  since seems-like-forever,  I havn't been able to get so
much as a free minute out of Juno-web;  I'd swear that "try again after
4am" message is part of my OS !!
Given, I generally start J4 and NSCP before hitting the ISP-dialer, so
it's always running ("connect over a network" mode)...  wonder if it's
"phoning home" all that time, and "charging" me ??