[JA] Free Rider Web Hours

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:38:35 -0500

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:48:23 -0800 thepccat@xxxxxxxx writes:

>LWJ> I'm too lazy to write down every time I get
>> on and off the Internet every day, so now I have
>> no idea how much time I spend online per month.

I have a rough idea of my online hours.  Three or four days a week, ten
to thirty minutes a day, probably five to ten hours most months.  A
little more than half is by NetZero and a little less than half by a
relative's AOL account, mornings when it won't otherwise be used.

Meow> The free account, as I recall, is 10 hours per month before
> it refuses to let you on the Internet [I don't recall if it then
> allows email via dialup and/or Internet].

For me as a free rider, I get no Juno access at all to Web.  I think it's
because I often share a computer with a paid user, and the robots have
decided I'm not a real person, just a freeloading alias trying to get
more hours.  Not a problem, as my dialup Juno 4.11 mail works just fine.

My single NZ account gives me Web access there and elsewhere, and I'm
told you can get multiple tens of hours per month by opening multiple
NetZero accounts, even on the same computer and phone line.  I never
wanted so much online time, however.  Someday UOL will merge or at least
partially integrate their NZ and Juno operations, which is when I'll
probably lose my principal Web access.

Meow> There were reports of people being charged $30/mo to
> continue accounts, and much dissatisfaction and grumbling.
> I wonder if this has subsided, or just the heavy users gone
> to other places which are more truly "unlimited" service?

Probably the latter.  This month I hooked up three computers to two DSL
modems.  That's how heavy users, especially teenagers, like to go, in my
experience.