[jhb] Re: Farm Strip Atmosphere

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:26:06 -0000

All very true.

The standard width for a paved runway is 150' (45m). At some earlier date
they often made longer runways wider but after a few accidents they found
that length and width changes created optical illusions which fooled pilots
into thinking they were closer to the runway than they actually were- so it
was standardised to 150'.

Private strips can be as wide as the owner wishes and this is one reason why
strip flying carries a warning. Some decent strips may be 100' (30m) wide
but some are as narrow as 12m - barely the wing span of a light aircraft -
with standing crops to trap those who wander off the chosen path.

I have an aerial photo I took of a Cherokee landing at Mount Rule and the
crops are no more than five feet from either wingtip. If you could replicate
this in FS it would make strip flying an enormous challenge - especially in
a crosswind!