Re: Text Editors that work best with Jaws?

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:14:40 -0500

If you want to try a free office suite that seems to work well with JFW, go to

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home

and go through the free registration process.  Folks are always asking about
Open Office and JFW.  The Lotus Symphony suite is based on Open Office, but
accessibility is built in.  You don't have to use the Access Bridge.  I
downloaded the 32-bit version to use with Windows XP on my netbook because I
didn't want to pay for MS Office.  The version I am using is 1.3.  They have
betas of version 3, but they may not be completely accessible.

I have played around with the word processor and the spreadsheet, and they seem
to work well.  You can read and write MS Office files, although you do get
warnings about some compatibility issues.  I don't know what these are.  My
simple word processor and spreadsheet files seem to work fine.  I haven't done
anything with the Presentation part of Lotus Symphony.  When you run the suite
with JFW, you do get the "Lotus Symphony settings are loaded" message when you
check with Insert+q, so FS has done some work on their end toward accessibility.

Give it a try.  Free is good!

Gary King
w4wkz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx