[jewel] Re: Current state of Jewel-OBJC

  • From: frank.hale@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jewel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:15:42 -0400

> The jewel C++ tree has become hideous

Thats hilarious.

> - C++ is an ugly language, that doesn't really promote an objective
>          view on the code, but instead gets a large nasty looking
> mess of C
>          and C++

Yes I would agree 100%.

> Of course, there's also now 3 different Desktop Environments to think
> about, and a whole host of new atoms etc, there's the GNUstep lot, the
> KDE lot and the GNOME lot, so, using the extensibility of ObjC I
> *SHOULD* be able to easily build extension modules as long as the core
> is right.

Well supporting the Extended Window Manager hints should go along way to get
support for at least Gnome and KDE. Dunno about GNUstep.

> there's no real light window manager with
> all the functionality I want

I wonder if we can start bouncing a list back and forth of what people actually
want and need in a light window manager.

> little K6/2 500 box.

I develop on boxes like this as well. I have a PIII 500 and a Celeron 400. I've
got a P4 1.6 but I don't do much coding on it. That box just kinda sits there
really. I tend to like my P3 and use it as my main machine.

> I'm tempted to make modular are window decorations (or
> rather, the entire parent windows we generate when swallowing mapped
> apps).

I'm flirting right now with themes (window decorations) that are compiled
shared libs and are plugged into the wm core. I've been attempting to figure
out how to do a generic interface which can function correctly with any
arbitrary theme but haven't been able to figure it out in a sensible and simple
way. My vision is that the plugin theme will create the functions necessary to
load and shape the window decorations in the parent frame and reparent the
client into the frame. It'll also have to take care of resizing the frame as
well so the decorations will be correctly placed. I'm still working on the
design of it. Hopefully I can make this a reality and something thats easy to
use and flexible! I know that at least one other window manager does this style
of theme and thats kwin that comes with KDE. So I do know its possible to do.
Making it easy to use and practical will be an exercise left to me =)

I'm wondering what you're opinions are on this style of window decorations. I
think it'll abstract enough out of the wm core to make the wm core lean and
mean.