[jaws-uk] Re: BT Broadband Problems

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:52:38 -0000

Hi Nigel and all,

In order to allay any fears people may have about their wireless access
points' security, I should mention that these devices are usually set up to
employ one of the various types of encryption.

If you set up the device yourself and don't use any form of encryption, then
it will be possible for others to connect to your network but professional
techies would always apply a level of security on private networks.

These encryption methods work by sharing a sort of password between the
individual computers on the network and the wireless access point which,
once set up, doesn't have to be entered each time.

If you want to know more, look for subjects such as WEP, WPA and WPA PSK in
either your windows help or on the web.

Additionally, most of the newer access points incorporate a Mac filtering
technique which can be set to deny access to your network by any computer
whose Mac address is not in a permitted list.
Each network connection device will have a Mac address which is unique and
these can be used to create a list of computers which are allowed to use
your network.

In case you are wondering why I talk of a network, you should be aware that,
a wireless access point is in fact, a network device and that, even if you
only have one computer connected to it, it is still a network except that it
only has one device attached.

HTH,

Phil Medway

philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx