[iyonix-support] SCSIFS and Hide

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:53:19 +1300

I've been looking at the problem of too many USB card icons. Four on a
combined card reader gets in the way of mounting another memory stick,
as well as taking up space on the icon-bar.

I found that by using SCSIFS hide system as supplied, I could only
hide the combo reader completely, and though *devices shows it,
Filer_OpenDir commands would not work.

I took another approach, took out the Hide file and removed SCSIFiler
from the predesk so it was not installed at bootup.
Now Filer_OpenDir and the now needed dismount commands worked.

I haven't dug deep into SCSIFS or SCSIFiler, but it appears to me
that the hiding of devices from the filer would be better handled
by SCSIFiler rather than SCSIFS, so some access could be allowed.

This might then retain some autoloading, and allow a few more devices
as well.
A Menu of commands can select the first 4 devices, so that they are
not all 'on' by default.

I'm sure this must have been looked at before, Is there any app
already made for this?

Ron M