[iyonix-support] Re: KVM niggles

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:51:58 GMT

In message <4f4c1147e0charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  charles <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In article <4f4bf085ealists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>,
>   Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I've got a KVM switch on my Iyonix which switches the keyboard, mouse
>> (both USB) and monitor with another machine.
>
>> However, quite often (not every time though) when I switch away from the
>> Iyonix to the other machine, and then back to the Iyonix, I find it's got
>> a "Buffer not known" error on the screen and neither the mouse or
>> keyboard will work. I have to press the reset button on the front to get
>> back control, which kind of defeats the object of having a KVM.
>
>> Is this likely to be a problem with the Iyonix or the KVM (only a cheapo
>> Novatech USB KVM). Would buying a better KVM solve the problem, or is the
>> Iyonix not liking it's mouse and keyboard disappearing?
>
>my KVM came from STD and was marked "modified for RISC OS" or something
>very similar.  This implies that simple ones might not work.  I was his
>first customer to try one on the Iyonix; he was worried about there being
>insufficient power from it to drive the KVM, but it worked perfectly and
>has done since then (5 years).

I have been using a PS2 Sitecom (Maplins) KVM, with no modifications for
anything, without any problems with the Iyonix, a RiscPC and the A9home.
The MyHoppers that STD sells may require modification to work with RISC
OS but the Sitecom certainly does not.

The 4 way Sitecom is externally powered, it had a mains plug power
supply in the box. I do not know how necessary that external supply
is, it was in the box so I used it. I had previously used a 2 way
Sitecom without external power between the Iyonix and RiscPC, it was
fine, it did have a DC socket on the back but there was no supply with
in the box though. The MyHopper has no provision for an external power
supply.

The cynic in me does note the doubt sown by that implication.
--
David Pitt.

Computing with RISC OS.