[iyonix-support] Re: KVM niggles

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:03:24 GMT

In message <4f4bf085ealists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
          Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got a KVM switch on my Iyonix which switches the keyboard, mouse (both
> USB) and monitor with another machine.
>
> However, quite often (not every time though) when I switch away from the
> Iyonix to the other machine, and then back to the Iyonix, I find it's got a
> "Buffer not known" error on the screen and neither the mouse or keyboard
> will work. I have to press the reset button on the front to get back
> control, which kind of defeats the object of having a KVM.
>
> Is this likely to be a problem with the Iyonix or the KVM (only a cheapo
> Novatech USB KVM). Would buying a better KVM solve the problem, or is the
> Iyonix not liking it's mouse and keyboard disappearing?

It's not possible to diagnose it completely.  However, some general
ideas may help.

You can't expect to just switch USB devices via a mechanical switch
or its silicon equivalent.  There are transactions going on over
USB all the time.  There would have to be, as a minimum, a host
port for each of the keyboard and mouse, and a device port for each
computer.  Then the switch would have to interpret the outputs from
the keyboard and mouse, and switch them synchronously to the right
host.  When K&M are not selected to a host, that hosts's device
ports must continue to behave as a keyboard with no key presses or
releases and a mouse with no movement and no buttons moved.  If the
KVM switch isn't like that, all bets are off as to what the
symptoms would be if the switch were switched at any given instant.

Dave