[iyonix-support] Re: Freezing whilst copying

  • From: Martin Avison <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:48:37 +0100

In article <gemini.j1vhtf01j4kgf010k.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In my case also the symptoms were alleviated by RmKill DMAManager - I
> > believe because it slows down the copy process and so does not stress
> > the disc(s) so much, and hence the PSU has an easier time. Reading
> > discs was fine, it was writing that caused the problem, particularly
> > large files.

> Its nothing to do with stressing the disc. Without the DMA Manager,
> data is transferred very slowly (~4MB/s) accross the system bus,
> instead of the 50MB/s+ which UDMA is capable off. However if you
> haven't had the hardware mods done, such high speed bus activity causes
> stability problems.

> While disabling the DMA Manager can be used as a temporary work around,
> reducing the disc access speeds to similar to that of the Risc PC
> negates one of the main advantages of the Iyonix, so getting it fixed
> is advised.

I agree totally.  But in my case, the mods HAD been done, and I
experienced freezes while writing disc files which were alleviated by
rmkill DMAManager. A new PSU cured it properly - no problems since with
DMAmanager enabled. JB & I concluded that the higher disc speeds stressed
the PSU more.

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader