[iyonix-support] Re: Freezing whilst copying

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:25:07 +0100

In message of 1 Jul, george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip of earlier conversation on freezing>

> I have tried USB; in fact, that is where my original copying problems
> showed up: when copying large files from a USB camera card reader, the
> Iyo would lock solid after an indeterminate percentage (but never 100)
> of the copying had taken place. I have just copied across approx 400Mb
> of holiday pics (120 in total) from a Boots 512MB CompactFlash card;
> the computer froze after 30, 51, 83 and 110 images.

This should mean that you in fact managed to copy all the pics across as
30+51+83+110 is definitely greater than the 120 total.  But it remains
that there is a problem.

> Aemulor Pro had been quit (front end and emulator), also NetFetch. No
> other big apps were running. Machine is a year-old X100 with 256MB
> running 5.09. The PSU was replaced free of charge by Castle a couple
> of months after purchase, so is relatively new. Wimpslot is configured
> to 9600k. I had not disabled lazy taskswapping.
>
> I haven't encountered any HD directory to HD directory or HD to PC via
> LAN copying problems as described by the OP, and have succeeded in
> burning some very big files to CD (350MB per single file) so my
> problem seems to be related to USB.

And with my early 1st generation Iyonix, though with all the mods and
with RISC OS 5.11, I have no problems at all doing such copying from a
card reader via USB.  I wonder if 5.11 would make a difference for you?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/