[iyonix-support] Re: Freezing whilst copying

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:46:27 +0100

Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my case also the symptoms were alleviated by RmKill DMAManager - I
> believe because it slows down the copy process and so does not stress the
> disc(s) so much, and hence the PSU has an easier time. Reading discs was
> fine, it was writing that caused the problem, particularly large files.

Its nothing to do with stressing the disc. Without the DMA Manager, data is
transferred very slowly (~4MB/s) accross the system bus, instead of the
50MB/s+ which UDMA is capable off. However if you haven't had the hardware
mods done, such high speed bus activity causes stability problems.

While disabling the DMA Manager can be used as a temporary work around,
reducing the disc access speeds to similar to that of the Risc PC negates
one of the main advantages of the Iyonix, so getting it fixed is advised.

Cheers
---Dave

--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx