[iyonix-support] Re: Freezing whilst copying

  • From: Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:21:09 +0100

In article <3f4c193d4e.paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Paul Horth <paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4e3d08bf09lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Mark Rowan <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <6898073d4e.paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Paul Horth <paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Recently when I do a largish copy of a file or files I can pretty
> >> much guarantee that the Iyonix freezes solid.
> >
> >> Any ideas/work rounds, gratefully received.
> >
> > Is your PSU the original one? I had this sort of problem, as well as
> > the Iyonix dropping the network connection, until I replaced my PSU
> > as the supplied one had stopped providing a clean power supply.
> >

> No, I've already replaced the PSU as I was having problems. This was
> only 6 months ago, so I hope it's not the problem. Also, last time it
> was disk errors and network card malfunctions.

Hmmm. Until I read your last comment Paul, I was thinking it sounded
rather like the symptoms I had ... which were resolved by a new PSU.

In my case also the symptoms were alleviated by RmKill DMAManager - I
believe because it slows down the copy process and so does not stress the
disc(s) so much, and hence the PSU has an easier time. Reading discs was
fine, it was writing that caused the problem, particularly large files.

If it helps, I wrote a little program to provoke the disc write problem
to aid my investigation (it usually hit me when Pluto was compressing its
large files, which was a b****y nuisance!). If it would help you, drop me
a line and I will send it.

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader