[iyonix-support] Re: Freezing whilst copying

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:35:08 GMT

In message <678e193d4e.paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Paul Horth <paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4e3d08c23clists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In article <6898073d4e.paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>    Paul Horth <paul.horth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I could copy all my files for backup purposes before, but seem unable to
>>> do so now. The file doesn't seem to matter: I can retry copying the
>>> single file that caused the freeze when doing a multiple file copy, and
>>> it works!
>>
>> You don't say where you're copying them from/to.
>>
>> Are you copying them to an external hard drive? If so, is it USB? If again
>> so, are you using USB 1 or 2?
>>
> I have tried:
> 1. Straight copy from one directory to another on my 120Gb ADFS disk.
> 2. Copy from directories into zip file on my ADFS disk.
> 3. Copy from local ADFS disk to Pc via !OmniClient
>
> All have succeeded in freezing the Iyonix within a minute. Currently
> not trying USB.

I have tried USB; in fact, that is where my original copying problems
showed up: when copying large files from a USB camera card reader, the
Iyo would lock solid after an indeterminate percentage (but never 100)
of the copying had taken place. I have just copied across approx 400Mb
of holiday pics (120 in total) from a Boots 512MB CompactFlash card;
the computer froze after 30, 51, 83 and 110 images. Aemulor Pro had
been quit (front end and emulator), also NetFetch. No other big apps
were running. Machine is a year-old X100 with 256MB running 5.09. The
PSU was replaced free of charge by Castle a couple of months after
purchase, so is relatively new. Wimpslot is configured to 9600k. I had
not disabled lazy taskswapping.

I haven't encountered any HD directory to HD directory or HD to PC via
LAN copying problems as described by the OP, and have succeeded in
burning some very big files to CD (350MB per single file) so my
problem seems to be related to USB.

George