RE: Nortel ISA Hardware Firewall

  • From: Alexandre Gauthier <gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:19:10 -0500

It always amazes me on how anything related to command line or anything that
is text only will make many Windows admins automatically say it's hard or
unpleasant.

I for one, think text mode = light, which = simplicity.

It's not that counter intuitive, but simple - and thus less error prone,
more straightforward. I don't need tha bling bling.

But then again that is my opinion. Having manual also ensures you have
competent administrators :-)

Blind patching is my personal equivalent of Dr.Shinder's "hardware firewall"
or the "open port button".

But you know discussing this point on a ISA mailing list is pointless, since
I assume most of those who moan about Cisco to be doing ISA for a living -
it's what they know best. On a Cisco mailing list, that would be different,
since they know Cisco best, and probably only vaguely heard of ISA and ditch
it in the same way.

It all comes to an e-peepee size fight that comes stunningly close to
downright fanboyism.

And somehow making posts just to ditch the lastest PIX or anything cisco
does that is wrong strikes me as vaguely childish and reeks of
self-justification, somehow... I don't know. I try to stand neutral in my
recommendations.

  _____