Re: [icon-users] Equations and tables in lists

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:36:18 +0200

In message <f1d929334f.ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think my judgement is/was affected by my view that a displayed
> equation should be part of a properly punctuated sentence. It is
> sometimes the end of a sentence and should have a full stop, and
> sometimes not, when it might have a comma or whatever following it. In
> the latter case the sentence might continue with 'where x is . . .'.
> The displayed equation is not often a paragraph on its own; it is
> usually part of a longer paragraph. Therefore I was surprised to find
> that the shift carriage return had no effect.

I think there is a misunderstanding. The question whether an equation
is a paragraph on its own or part of a sentence is precisely the
distinction between an Equation and an inline Expression in
TechWriter. If you want it to be part of a sentence, why not use an
Expression? Then, you can have line breaks and everything.

The main reason for having Equations is the fact that an Equation can
have an equation number to the left or right, which you could not
easily achieve with an inline Expression.

Maybe you mix this up with the distinction between the sizes? By
default, Equations are shown at Display size (e.g., limits are above
operators) and inline Expressions at Text size (limits to the side of
operators), but you can change that for the full expression or even
individual parts in Maths => Size, so you can have an inline
Expression shown in the same way as a standalone Equation and vice
versa.

Martin